Giri Institute of Development Studies (GIDS) is a premier centre for advanced research and training focusing on the development concerns of India and its regions. Established in 1973 by a group of eminent academicians and leading public personalities and named after the former President and eminent labour leader Late Shri V.V.Giri, the Institute has emerged a vibrant centre of policy oriented and analytical multidisciplinary research in the country. GIDS is supported by Indian Council of Social Science Research (ICSSR) and Government of Uttar Pradesh as an autonomous institute of national importance.
GIDS research covers a wide range of issues, broadly categorised into the following themes:
- Agricultural and rural development
- Labour, Employment, Livelihoods and Development
- Inter-regional and inter-state disparities
- Population, Public Health, Education, basic amenities and Human Development
- Poverty, Vulnerability and Social Security
- Social infrastructure particularly health, education and basic amenities
- Rural industries and informal sector
- Urbanisation and rural-urban migration
- Scheduled Castes, Minorities and Other Socially Excluded Groups
- Gender and Child Studies
- Evaluation of government schemes and programmes
Publication of Book:
Prof. G. S. Mehta published two books (1) Agro Processing Industry: Problems and Prospects of Development, published by Abhijeet Publications, New Delhi 2015. (2) Factors Impacting Growth of Employment. Published by Abhijeet Publications, New Delhi 2015.
The Institute has also produced a documentary 'Swayam Siddha'. The documentary can access on https://youtu.be/lcYFeF3Bq0I.
GIDS in collaboration with TISS, Mumbai has organized national Seminar on "Health and Development: Emerging Issues in Uttar Pradesh” during 21-22 December, 2015.
Prof. I C Awasthi presented a paper on “Disaster Management in Mountain Economy – A Case of Uttarakhand State of India” in Annual Conference on South Asia (22-25 October, 2015), and Chaired a session on Education and Health Issues in Annual Conference on South Asia, University of Wisconsin-Madison, Madison (USA).
Dr. C Senapati has been elected All Indian Political Science Association Executive Member from State of Uttar Pradesh.
Dr. C Senapati Participated in international conference with paper on "Dalit and Civil Unrest in India: A prospect of Affirmative Action" on Civil Unrest and Socio-Political Changes: Marginalisation, Disintegration, Exclusion, Organised by Tbilisi State University, Tbilisi, Republic of Georgia during 26-29 May, 2015.